Friday, May 03, 2013

(NEWS) Symbolic One On Producing For Kanye West, Jay-Z, Beyoncé | @SymbolycOne

Friday, May 03, 2013

Jay-Z's Life+Times caught up with Grammy award-winning super producer Symbolic One who discusses producing one of Kanye West's biggest hits "Power", being called into the lab to work on Jay and Kanye's "Watch The Throne", producing "Murder to Excellence", meeting Rhymefest, Beyoncé, Talib Kweli and more. Head over to LifeandTimes to read the full interview, a few small exerts from the interview are below. 

 On "Power"
“I created the beat for “Power” about six months prior to Kanye hearing it. Rhymefest called me one day to send him some beats over, because he was out in Hawaii in the studio with Kanye. He said if he got the opportunity he would try to play them for Ye. I sent a batch of beats over to him then about two weeks later I received a text from Rhymefest that said, “Kanye is lovin’ your stuff. He says he’s about to change your life.”
On "Murder to Excellence"
“Well this song actually started as two separate songs. I produced the “Excellence” half and Swizz Beatz produced the “Murder” part. I originally produced this beat for Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Kanye held onto the beat and when I flew out to London to work on Watch the Throne, he plays the beat in the session for Jay. Jay turns around and looks at me like “What’s this?” About 20 minutes later, Jay is pulling up to the mic to record his verse for it.
On "Strange Fruit Project - From Divine"
“This project was part of my humble beginnings. This was my group’s very first album that I exclusively produced in its entirety. Early in my career I was inspired by groups like A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Jill Scott, Black Star, etc and inspired by producers like Pete Rock, DJ Premier, Jay Dilla and Dr. Dre, so this album was me trying to create a certain sound for my group. It was also me learning and growing into my own as a producer. Learning the ins and outs, what to do and not to do, and still trying to learn my equipment. Once this album was completed, we released it independently and the feedback was incredible. Questlove hit us up as a fan, and then passed our album to Erykah Badu, who called me on my cell phone one day. From this album we toured the world, collaborated with groups we were fans of and learned so much about the industry.”
Ultra Media Blog © 2014